Apply online at: sandia.gov/careers
Job #: 660790
Postdoctoral Appointee – Ultrafast Laser Chemistry/Spectroscopy
Location: Livermore, CA
Full Time, Temporary
What Your Job Will Be Like
We seek to hire one or more postdoctoral researchers to work on development of ultrafast laser diagnostics and their application to combustion and related environments (PIs: Christopher Kliewer and Krupa Ramasesha).
On any given day, you may be called on to:
• Develop and conduct experiments with ultrafast (femtosecond and picosecond) laser systems;
• Employ the scientific method to design, refine, and implement new experiments;
• Work with an emphasis placed on the further development of nonlinear optical techniques such as planar coherent anti-Stokes Raman spectroscopy and sum-frequency generation vibrational spectroscopy;
• Use creativity in solving experimental difficulties;
• Work on experiments that will focus on combining surface sensitive optical measurements with cutting-edge gas-phase nonlinear optical imaging measurements to learn about fundamental gas-surface chemistry involved in heterogeneous combustion and other multiphase processes.
Qualifications We Require
• PhD in Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, or a related field, with a strong interest in developing laser-based nonlinear optical techniques;
• Some experience in spectroscopic modeling;
• The ability to write technical peer-reviewed publications, evidenced through a strong publication record, is essential.
Qualifications We Desire
• Experience with femtosecond laser amplifier systems;
• Previous work with sum-frequency generation, coherent anti-Stokes Raman spectroscopy or a related nonlinear optical spectroscopy;
• Experience with high-pressure gas handling equipment;
• Familiarity with quantum chemical calculations of optical vibrational frequencies.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance (These benefits vary by job classification).